Friday, February 1, 2013

birchbox - january


Firstly, unless you're blind, you've probably noticed my new layout! I was getting tired of all the dreary colors, so I thought I'd change it up a bit. It took FOREVER to do, but I'm pleased with how it turned out. I'd love to hear what y'all think about it!

But oh my goodness, y’all. I am so excited because I got my first Birchbox in the mail! In case you haven’t heard, Birchbox is a site that surveys your beauty needs and sends you monthly samples based on a profile, kind of like a personalized magazine subscription for beauty products. Cool, right?



So on the beauty profile, I put that I have really dry skin that flakes. So Birchbox sent me a sample of Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentré – 24 Hour Miracle Cream. “A favorite of models and makeup artists, this cult French moisturizer heals dryness and leave skin primed for foundation.” However, the package says it’s for all skin types, which is good for all you combination and oily folks. I tried it that night, using it on my whole face but focusing on a few extra-flaky places, like my nose and my chin. Y’all…when I woke up the next morning, my dryness was GONE. Seriously. Some of the roughest patches were perfectly smooth. It was unbelievable. My only qualm – no SPF. :( Otherwise, it’s perfect.

30 ml tube - $16
75 ml tube - $28

I put that I have fine, dry hair that’s prone to breakage. Birchbox included a sample of Ojon rare blend™ oil Total Hair Therapy. “This tricolored oil prevents heat damage and gives hair an instant shine boost.” This is good considering I’m addicted to straightening my hair (if you know anything about me, it’s that I’m always in the bathroom fixing my hair). You shake the bottle before using it so that the colors blend together, and then warm it up in your hands by rubbing them together.  I think I might have put too much on, because when I went to straighten my hair, it came out looking…stringy? Greasy? Oily? Not sure, but I had to use a lot of dry shampoo to make it look better. Note to self – a little goes a long way with this stuff!

1.5 oz bottle - $35

I also got a perfume by Aerie, which is my personal favorite for underwear (sorry, VS). “This light-as-air blend of bergamot, peony, and vanilla feels fresh and warm.” I can definitely smell the bergamot (My mom uses essential oils in lieu of medicine and hair/skin care these days. #apothecaryprobs). It’s very light and subtle; not as sweet as I usually like, but it’s nice. Maybe my mom would like it (but lesbireal, she’d rather use oils).

1.7 oz bottle - $39.95
Rollerball - $14.95


I’m usually really reserved, simple, and natural when it comes to makeup, so I was pleasantly surprised when I got Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner, something I wouldn’t normally by for myself. “This UK import features a user-friendly pen applicator and supersmooth formula.” One reason I don’t like liquid eyeliner is because I don’t wanna mess it up, so it’s good that this is easy to apply. I will most likely only wear this when I’m hitting up Northgate, but it’s still a nice thing to have.


Pen - $15
Comes in black, brown (sold out), navy, turquoise, olive, and purple

As an added bonus, they included two packets of 100% Pure Nourishing Body Cream. “This skin-friendly moisturizer is made exclusively from 100 percent vegan, organic ingredients. Not that you needed an excuse to slather it on.” I get really dry, cracked legs in the winter, so I need all the nourishing body moisturizer I can get! I put it on after a shower, and It. Smells. So. Good. I’m addicted to the smell. It’s like coconut, vanilla, and coffee all in one. I can’t stop smelling my hands. No really.


8 oz tube - $15
Comes in coconut, vanilla bean, and green apple (but all but green apple are sold out!)

What I love about Birchbox (besides the awesome product samples they sent me) is that they have explanations, directions, and tutorials for each product, so you know how to use it to do what it’s meant to do. Also, if you review the products you get, you can get 10 Birchbox points. 10 points = $1 spending money in the store, which carries full sizes of all your samples and more, so you can potentially earn enough money to get free stuff. Yeah, free.

Speaking of points, if you would like to sign up to get Birchbox yourself at my referral, I could earn more points, which means you could help me get free stuff, which I would love you forever for. All you have to do is click here and sign up! It’s $10 a month for a box of 4-5 samples, which isn’t that bad considering how much you get out of it (that’s, like, $2.50 a week, or $2 per sample, depending how you wanna look at it). After you get your first box (and love it), I’ll get 50 points, which equates to $5. Quid pro quo, y’all.

Let me know if you have any questions about the products I got, or if you decide to try Birchbox for yourself! I love reading your comments. :)

Much love,
Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment