Monday, January 28, 2013

tuesday bluesday


I don’t know about you, but every week, I have a bad case of the Tuesday Blues. This is mostly due to the fact that I have five, yes, five classes that day, four of them right in a row and one in the evening. Dragging myself out of bed after a 4-day weekend (no MWF classes!) is one of the hardest things ever; it’s a wonder I’m able to do it! Luckily, I’ve come up with a few tricks that help make Tuesdays just a wee bit better. If you also have a case of the Tuesday Blues, here are some ideas for how to feel better when all you want to do is stay in bed and sleep.

1. wear a cute outfit

I know, I know, the last thing you want to do is actually spend time buttoning a pair of pants when you’d rather just throw on an oversized t-shirt and norts. I get it – they’re comfortable and appropriately express how you’re feeling this morning. But actually taking the time to pick out something cute to wear will make you feel better. While you’re sitting on the bus surrounded by t-shirt-clad sorority girls, you’ll be rocking a cute pair of shorts and an adorable top, and not only will you feel better, you’ll look better, too. Can’t muster up the willpower to wear something else besides your usual sorority girl uniform? Wear a bow, add earrings, slip on some cute sandals, or spray on some perfume. Little changes make all the difference!

Actual pants?? Heaven forbid!


2. do your hair and make-up

I know it’s tempting to throw your hair back into a ponytail and run out the door, but sometimes, going the extra mile to straighten your hair and put on some mascara makes you look and feel better. Maybe try an easy ‘do, like a top knot, a side braid, or even an “I actually attempted to make this look good” pony will also work (if Jennifer Lawrence can do it, so can you!). For makeup, just do the essentials: foundation, concealer, blush, and mascara. Go from hot mess to put-together in no time at all.

Ponytail-spiration.


3. drink caffeine

Studies show that caffeine not only gives you more energy, but it also helps focus, boosts metabolism, and makes you more alert, as well as boosts your mood! That extra kick in the morning might be just what you need to change your day from blah to cheery. Whatever your poison – coffee, Red Bull, 5-hour Energy, etc., you’ll feel so much better (and do better in class) with a little bit of that sweet, energizing nectar in your system.

Totes me without caffeine!


4. eat your favorite breakfast

Or even a favorite meal later in the day. But breakfast is known to kick-start your metabolism and to help you make better eating choices throughout the day (portion control and food choices). Maybe take the time to make eggs and bacon, a bowl of your favorite cereal, or a run to your nearest Starbucks for your favorite latte (until next fall, Pumpkin Spice Latte). A little happiness in your stomach will make for a better day overall.

My favorite breakfast - bagel, cream cheese, tomato, salt and pepper. So yum.



5. listen to happy music

Nothing makes me happier than walking through campus with a super-great song playing in my headphones. I have a smile on my face, a spring in my step, and a better outlook on the long day ahead when a cheerful tune is acting as the soundtrack to my trek from class to class. Here’s a good playlist of happy songs to put you in a better mood as you trudge from Heldenfels to Blocker.




6. set a goal, find something to look forward to, or treat yourself

Your day will go faster and seem less of a drag if you have something to look forward to at the end of it. Try making a list of “rewards” you can have if you can get through the day without collapsing in a heap between classes, such as taking a nap or getting froyo with a friend. They can be as simple or extravagant as you want them to be. My favorite format is: “If I can just do __________, I can do/have ___________.” Fill in the blanks with whatever your heart desires. If you have something to look forward to, you’ll be in a better mood and be more likely to accomplish your goals.


My goal this week: boutique shopping!


7. do a chore

“Uh, what? I thought this was a list of things to make me feel better, not worse!” Umm, it is, hang tight. I am literally one of the messiest people alive, not in a gross way, in a “organizing constitutes as piles all over the place, right?” kind of way. But when I actually take the time to do a chore or two, I have a sense of accomplishment that makes me feel better. It doesn’t have to be a huge chore, just something small like organizing your jewelry, hanging up all the clothes on your floor, or cleaning out a box of crap you’ve been neglecting. Once you finish, you’ll feel like you actually did something, which is a reward in itself. If you’re a perfectionist neat-freak crazy person, 1. I hate you, and 2. Take on a more elaborate task, like “arrange my books in alphabetical order by the author’s last name” or “color code underwear.” I don’t know what you clean people do, just go clean something.

I think I'll start with cleaning out my purse....


8. work out

My least favorite thing on this list. I’d rather go on a scavenger hunt for bobby pins than work out sometimes, but when I actually drag my butt to the gym, I really do feel better when I’m done. There is something so satisfactory about seeing that you burned 300 calories on the elliptical or that you weigh 1.8 fewer pounds than last week that makes it so worthwhile. Grab a buddy and head to the gym and get those endorphins pumping for a mood boost in 30 minutes.

This counts as a workout, right?


9. play a game

Now that school has started, I have obviously decided to start playing 1,847 new games on my phone as a way to pass the time I should be studying. But sometimes, ten minutes of mindlessness can help you feel more relaxed and put you in a better mood, especially when you’re in the middle of your third 75-minute class of the day and your prof is talking about something that isn’t going to be on the test. A few games I have been enjoying are Scribblenauts Remix, a creativity game; Ruzzle, a word game; and What’s the Word?, a logic game. Relieve stress and zone out for a few minutes to help your mind recharge.

Because who wouldn't want to play a game where you can create Cthulu??


10. laugh!

Disclaimer: the following gifs might be too funny for viewing in public areas. Proceed with caution.

But seriously, laughing has been scientifically proven to put you in a better mood. Maybe look up some funny puns online or watch Sail Cat on YouTube for the billionth time (my go-to video when I need a gut-buster. Never gets old). I found some funny gifs that may induce a chuckle or two, too.










Still gets me every time...


So there you have it – ten ways to make you feel better on this blah day. Try a few today and see if you don’t feel better, I dare you. A few other things to try: painting your nails, napping, cuddling/petting soft things (puppy store, anyone?), making good grades, reading a magazine, and retail therapy, of course.

Hope your have a better day! BTHO Tuesday Blues!

Much love,
Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment