Friday, June 21, 2013

HEB haul

I know what' you might be thinking: "Sydney, are you seriously going to tell us all the stuff you bought at the grocery store?" Yes and no. Yes - I'm going to tell you what I bought at the grocery store. No - none of it is food (that's a post for another time). You can really replace "HEB" with "Walgreens," "Target," "Ulta," or "Walmart," because the stuff I got can be purchased at any of these locations. I bought makeup!

What started as an innocent late-night dash for more body wash turned into an extreme makeup hall that I am simultaneously proud and ashamed of. BUT the good news is that everything was reasonably priced since it's all drugstore makeup, so I'm not quite as guilty as I would've been had this been a trip to Sephora.

Olay Fresh Effects BB Cream in Light-to-Medium




I've been wanting to try this BB cream for a while since I've made it my personal mission to try and review every single BB cream out there. I was skeptical about Olay's, however, because almost every review I've ever read said they loved it, but they hated how sheer it was. After rationalizing that I didn't need a lot of coverage, I decided to give it a go. They were right - if you need coverage, this is not the product for you. It's more like a tinted moisturizer, which is still good if that's your sort of thing. It smells nice and I loved the feeling of it on my skin - not heavy or sticky at all. And the consistency is great. As long as you don't need everything completely concealed, this is a great product.

NYX Rogue Cream Blush in Natural



I decided to try this blush after my friend Robyn at Brightest Bulb in the Box got it in her Ipsy box and loved it. I tend to trust everything that Robyn says because she doesn't put up with bullsh*t when it comes to products - she tells it like it is. I had never used a cream blush, but after all my powder ones kept fading (even with primer!), I thought I'd try it. It's a nice color and goes on very smoothly. Just don't put too much on (I found out the hard way)!

Sample Swatch


NYX Auto Eyebrow Pencil in Dark Brown 





One thing that has been big in the beauty world is full, thick eyebrows. I was teased when I was younger for my "monobrow" (Sam G., if you happen to read this, I have not forgotten), so I've always been very self-conscious about them, making sure they are always plucked or waxed and neat. This, unfortunately, has lead to overplucking sometimes, so my brows aren't as full as they should be. I like this pencil 1. because it's mechanical, and 2. because it has an eyebrow brush on the end. This makes for nice, filled in brows. I was really kind of freaked out when I saw myself with full eyebrows - at first I thought I looked like some kind of alien or Helga-esque freak. But they soon grew on me. The trick to full brows is to embrace them. Think of all the beautiful women who have full brows - Audrey Hepburn, Camilla Belle, Frieda Kahlo... I'll stop right there.

My monobrow was never this bad.

Not sure how I feel about this.



CoverGirl Exact Eyelights Eye-Brightening Eyeshadow for Green Eyes



Alright, so my eyes aren't green, they're hazel. But I love the colors on the palette, and my eyes have some green in them, so whatever. At first when I tried the palette on my skin with the little crap stick (you know, the applicator with the two ends that feels like sandpaper on your skin?), the colors were awful. However, when I used the nice brush that came with it, it was much more pigmented. Note to self - don't EVER use crap sticks.

Sample Swatch


CoverGirl Eye Enhancers 3-Kit Shadow in Dazzling Metallics



I wasn't quite as impressed with these shadows as I was with the others. I bought the kit solely for the orange color because I've been dying to copy Dianna Agron's makeup look from The Bling Ring premiere (more on that later). Unfortunately, it took at least three swipes of the crap stick to get any real pigment from it. But then again, it's a crap stick. Hopefully better luck will come with eyeshadow primer and a better brush. The other two colors were alright. The dark gray has a nice pigment, but the yellow is pretty much worthless as anything but a highlighter. Like I said, I bought it for the orange.


Obsessed. Can I look just like her? Kthanks.

Sample Swatch


CoverGirl Exact Eyelights Eye-Brightening Mascara in Black Ruby




"Yes!" I thought to myself, "I have finally found a burgundy mascara that doesn't cost a fortune!" Well, yes and no. Why I would even consider a burgundy mascara goes back to that picture of Dianna Agron's  makeup, but all the ones I was finding were designer, which equals expensive. So it was no wonder that I saw a mascara labeled "Black Ruby" next to the green-eyed eyeshadow palette. This color is also supposed to be for green eyes, but you already know that I don't care about this. Well, it wasn't quite as pigmented as I was expecting. I guess I was waiting for my eyelashes to turn a deep red, and that didn't really happen. Of course, it didn't really look very burgundy in that picture of Diane Agron, either. The bright side? I love the plastic bristles, and it's WATERPROOF! Hallelujah! This is a God-send for fellow contact-wearers. Even if it's not very noticeable, I'm happy with it.

The final result?


For eyeshadow, I just went with the orange. As you can see, you can't tell what color my eyelashes are. The blush looks really natural, and it doesn't look like I'm wearing foundation. But my brows look pretty awesome. All in all, a pretty successful haul. And I learned just how crappy crap sticks can be. 

What do y'all think? Are you wanting to try any of these products? Leave a comment!

Much love,
Sydney











No comments:

Post a Comment