Monday, April 15, 2013

birchbox - april

Ok, ok, confession: I stalked the Birchbox page every day last weekend until they released what I would be getting in my box for April. Because the box had yet to arrive, yet I already knew what's in it, I decided to do things a little differently, posting an "expectation" and a "reality" for each product - what I expected the product to be like and how well it actually worked after using it.


Caudalie Divine Oil - "Made with a blend of grape, argan, hibiscus, and sesame oils, this multitasking wonder gives skin, hair, and nails a gorgeous glow."


Expectation: I actually just bought a dry oil by Garnier Fructis today, and so far, I really like it. I'm excited to see how it smells, since the website raves that it smells amazing. Lord knows my skin is dry as the Sahara, so any help is appreciated!

Reality: When applied correctly (i.e., as long as you don't put too much on), it leaves your skin feeling really soft! Also, it did better at hydrating my flaky face than my regular moisturizer. It doesn't smell quite as good as I was expecting based on the description, but it's still pleasant. I would recommend a dry oil to those with dry skin, but maybe not one quite as expensive.

Price: $49.00 for 100 ml


Beauty Protector Protect and Detangle - "Great for all hair types, this nourishing elixer performs seven hair-healing functions. Among them: locking in color, adding shine, and instantly detangling."


Expectation: I don't really need help as far as detangling goes, but I do love a good heat protectant, since I straighten my hair VERY often. Hopefully it'll leave my hair soft and not sticky or oily.

Reality: Oh. Em. Gee. This stuff is amazing! The smell is fantastic and it left my hair silky and shiny and lightweight. Still don't care about the fact that it detangles since my hair is so fine, but it was a great pre-blow drying spray. Only complaint - it shoots out into a stream and not a mist. But I really like it otherwise!

Price: $21.95 for 8 oz.


Supergoop! Daily Correct SPF 35 CC Cream - "This next-generation CC cream provides corrective coverage and triple protects against UVA, UVB, and infrared-A rays."


Expectation: I do love a good BB cream, but have never tried a CC cream before. It's supposed to be more lightweight, probably similar to a tinted moisturizer. My only concern is the color - it only comes in two, and I'll probably get the lighter of them.

Reality: I was pleasantly surprised to find it blended in very well to my skin and wasn't too light or too dark. The consistency wasn't bad and it went on well. But my favorite part was the Broad Spectrum SPF 35. I used this as my foundation before two outdoor events this weekend and I only got the faintest hint of a burn on my forehead. If you burn easily or want to hardcore protect your skin from the sun, this is some good stuff.

Price: $32.00, available in Light Medium and Medium Dark


LaFace Laboratories BEAUX YEUX Beautiful Eyes Concentrate Intensive - "A hefty dose of hyaluronic acid amps up moisture levels, while an advanced peptide complex halts wrinkle formation."


Expectation: HOLY $#*%! $160?? 1. I will not be purchasing this, even if it gives me superpowers. And 2. for that price, it'd better make my dark circles disappear like Amelia Earhart.

Reality: I had never used an eye cream before this one, so I can't compare it to anything, but it definitely made my eyes feel more hydrated. After two days of morning and night applications, I did start to see some of the dark under my eyes go away. Doesn't mean I'm going to spend a paycheck on it, but it has made me consider starting to use an eye cream to combat my vampire eyes.

Price: $160.00 for 1 oz.



Hail Merry Chocolate Macaroons - "It tastes too good to be true: These decadent treats are raw, vegan, gluten-free, and made with only natural, non-GMO ingredients."
Expectation: YUM! Can't wait for this tasty treat.

Reality: They taste like how you would expect any gluten-free chocolate treat to taste - a little bland, but not inedible. It contains extra-virgin coconut oil, which melts at room temperature, so it literally melts in your mouth. My least favorite part was the fact that it had pieces of coconut in it, which I don't like simply because I don't like bits of coconut in my food. Otherwise, super tasty!

Price: $5.00 for 3.5 oz. (But they're all sold out! :( )


It seems as if my expectations were very low compared to how pleased I was with all the products. I based these assumptions off similar products I had gotten, but it just goes to show - you can't trust a book by its cover! I loved this box, and I can't wait for next month's! If you'd like to try Birchbox to get some of the cool stuff I got, please go here and sign up using my referral link!

Much love,
Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment