Sunday, January 6, 2013

book club


So I stumbled upon a blog through Pinterest called Your Sorority Sister, devoted to all things sorority-related. Naturally, I became hooked in about 5.7 seconds. The blog talks about all kinds of things relevant to my life, but one thing that caught my eye was the Your Sorority Sister Book Club. This is a brand-new, online book club specifically for sorority women who want to do…what people in book clubs do, I guess: read and talk about the books.



I’ve been trying to get back into reading real books rather than just magazines and online articles (The Holiday, anyone?) for a while now, and was off to a good start with The Perks of Being a Wallflower and The Millennium Trilogy (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and the two books following). But although I planned on reading three books over break, I haven’t even cracked one…

Despite my lack of motivation to do anything but lie in bed all day, I really do want to get back into reading for fun (ironically, when I’m supposed to be studying and reading for torture). So I went ahead and signed up for the Book Club through goodreads.com. The first book on the list is Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks, which sounds pretty good, especially since the movie is coming out soon and it’s a typical Carolina-set love story (Nicholas Sparks should really travel around a bit, maybe set a book in Tokyo or somewhere…besides the Carolinas).

Oh please, it doesn't look bad at all! 

I really think that reading books is a lost art. For one, people aren’t reading books anymore; they’re reading ebooks, which are not the same thing. Second, Borders freaking closed – I LOVED that place! Third, attention spans are so short these days. I can barely focus on chugging out blog posts, let alone do anything else. However, Amazon and Barnes & Noble seem to still be doing well, so I won’t worry…yet.

I encourage all of you to sign up for this Book Club. C’mon, it’s one book a month, and sorority girls are choosing them, so it’s not like they’re going to be extremely boring. It will be a fun way to meet and share ideas with other sorority women and who knows, you may even begin to read more often!

Also, please be sure to follow my blog in the right hand column so you can be updated when I post new stuff! 

Happy Reading!

Much Love,
Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment