Friday, March 14, 2014

black diamond ball

First, congratulations to Erin Raymond on winning the GoGreek app! I'll be emailing you with details. :)

I know it's still a little ways away, but since the Social Chair is mentioning every chance she gets, I figure it's OK to go ahead and post about it. For those of you who are not ADPi's, we have this tradition called Black Diamond Ball, which is a fancy name for something you all know and cherish:

FORMAL.

What differentiates Black Diamond Ball (hereforth to be abbreviated BDB) from regular formal, however, is the dress code. At BDB, you can only wear black or white. NO color whatsoever. Now, I don't know about you, but I love color, so this is going to be a little hard for me. Shoes have to be black, white, nude, or metallic, and jewelry can't be colorful, either (think silver, gold, black, and white). I'm feeling a little...restricted, honestly. If you're feeling the same, not to worry - I have some great ideas for how to add color to the otherwise grayscale BDB.

First things first, though: Here are some pretty dresses that are black or white that are BDB-appropriate.


Black












White












Both! (Yes, both is allowed!)










Some great sites to find even more BDB dresses are Macys, Dillards, JCPenney, Windsor, and David's Bridal. Or, if you're feeling fancy, you can rent a dress from Rent the Runway. I'm actually wearing the dress I wore to formal freshman year, which I found at White House Black Market.

Now for accessories. I suggest first picking what shoes you're going to wear - black, white, nude, or metallic. This will determine which jewelry will look best. Here are some good pairings for reference:

Black dress - black shoes - gold jewelry
Black dress - black shoes - silver jewelry
Black dress - black shoes - rose gold jewelry
Black dress - black shoes - pearls (with silver or gold metal)
Black dress - black shoes - rhinestones
Black dress - nude shoes - pearls
Black dress - silver shoes - silver jewelry
Black dress - silver shoes - rhinestones

White dress - white shoes - gold jewelry
White dress - white shoes - rose gold jewelry
White dress - nude shoes - pearls
White dress - silver shoes - silver jewelry
White dress - silver shoes - rhinestones
White dress - gold shoes - gold jewelry

Black and white dress - black shoes - silver jewelry
Black and white dress - black shoes - rhinestones
Black and white dress - silver shoes - silver jewelry
Black and white dress - silver shoes - rhinestones

As you can see, a black dress with black shoes has the most versatility. It's kind of hard to find gold shoes so I didn't include it except for white. Also, pay attention to the detailing on your dress - silver detailing equals silver jewelry, for example. I personally wouldn't put black shoes with a white dress and vice versa, but that's up to you. It might even be fun to find black and white shoes!

Now for the fun part - makeup! THIS is how you're going to be able to add color to the otherwise black and white ensemble. Here are some fun, colorful makeup ideas to try:









Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of the bold lip. I love subtle/neutral eyes paired with bright lipstick. Be careful not to overdo it by doing a super colorful eye with a bold lip, as it will make you look clownish. If you're having trouble, feel free to ask a makeup consultant at MAC or Ulta what they think (or you could just ask me...ya know...)

I hope this gives all of you ADPi's a better idea of what you're going to wear to Black Diamond Ball. And if you're not an ADPi, maybe you got a good dress or makeup idea out of this. If you have any questions or need help finding a dress/picking out accessories/doing your makeup, let me know!

And if in doubt, you could always take a bedsheet and a couple of belts and pull a Jennifer Lawrence a la the Golden Globes.

Just kidding, I love JLaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment