Monday, March 25, 2013

birchbox - march

Yes, yes, I am aware I didn't do the Birchbox for February. But honestly, it wasn't worth blogging about. Everything that I wanted to say about it was negative. And after a while, it became irrelevant.

Restart. Fast forward. Here we go.

Compared to February's Birchbox, March's was MUCH better. I was actually excited to get it once I knew what was in it (I cheated and looked at their website before it arrived). So here is what I got in my Birchbox that has got me so giddy.

I'll admit it: I get acne. Phew, there, I said it. I get stubborn pimples that just won't go away. So Birchbox (being the thoughtful soul it is) sent me Evologie Intensive Blemish Serum. "Zero in on stubborn blemishes with this preventive serum, which works wonders on all skin types without triggering redness or irritation." When I first put a little onto my fingertip, I immediately noticed the smell. It smelled so familiar...after a little thinking, I realized that I was smelling tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is an essential oil that is used to help treat acne by reducing redness and killing bacteria (thanks, Mom). I tried looking up the ingredients to confirm this on Evologie's site, but it was super sketchy and didn't spill a bean of what is in it. I did finally find the ingredients, and was right about the tea tree oil. It also has salicylic acid, same as all acne-fighting products. I might as well just keep using my normal skin care products and use tea tree oil when this serum runs out - it's cheaper, all natural, and not sticky and goopy like this "serum."

Bottle - $35.00

Next, I got a twistband Headband. "Keep your hair perfectly in place with these colorful elastic headbands." I think everyone knows what one of these twistbands looks like since we probably all have the ponytail holder look-alikes by now. I'm not huge into stretchy headbands like this because they always fall off my head, but I think it'll be helpful for when I'm washing my face. 

Set of 6 - $19.00

This is the product I was most excited about. My boyfriend always make fun of me for not using shaving cream (what? It's super expensive!), so I was glad to get a sample of Wish Shave Crave Shaving Cream in my Birchbox. "The organic shea butter in this foam-free shaving cream makes for an insanely close shave and leaves skin incredibly soft. We love the exclusive blueberry scent." Yes, folks - it smells like blueberries. And they're right - it did leave my legs feeling super silky. But unfortunately, it is even more expensive than the drugstore brands I refuse to pay for, so I'll have to enjoy my sample while it lasts...

150 ml bottle: $20.00
Comes in blueberry, lavender, and pomegranate 

The next product I got for my super-dry skin was Youngblood Mineral Radiance Moisture Tint. "This mineral-packed tinted moisturizer covers all the bases: It provides lasting hydration, sheer coverage, and protection from the elements." I was a little excited for this one, because I love tinted moisturizers and BB creams, but I was really not impressed by this. It is a really watery consistency and the sample was kind of dark, so that it made me tanner than I needed to be. It was also streaky and my skin didn't feel more moisturized after using it. I think I'll just stick to my BB cream...

To buy:
Tube: $43.00
Comes in Nude, Natural, Tan and Golden Sun, Illuminating

Finally, as an added bonus, I got a Madewell for Birchbox Emery Board in a super cute floral pattern. "We teamed up with Madewell to create this adorable mani savior, pattered after a print from their new spring collection." I don't file my fingernails very often, but it's so cute, I might just start doing it more often. And hey, it was a bonus!

One board: $5.00

If I have learned anything from getting Birchbox, it's that sometimes, you don't always get what you want. And sometimes, you get what you need (Rolling Stones, anyone?). Some months, the boxes may be disappointing, and other months, they'll be super amazing. But no matter what you get, give it a try. Who knows, you may actually love it. If you're interested in starting a Birchbox subscription, feel free to click this link and sign up using my referral code. If you do, I'll get 50 points ($5) and I'll love you forever. And ever.

Much love,
Sydney





No comments:

Post a Comment